This is a special, built-to-order, mono version of Atlas for real mono playback of monaural/monophonic (mono) microgroove, vinyl records. It is recommended that the Atlas Mono is used with high-gain, low noise phono stages, or alternatively a step-up transformer designed for phono cartridges of 2 – 3 ohms or less.
On mono records, the vertical axis of the groove contains no musical information, but it will frequently have noise, in the form of groove damage and dirt. The Atlas Mono has therefore been designed to be completely insensitive to the vertical axis, which greatly improves the signal/noise ratio without any downside on monaural records.
The coil former is a square permeable plate oriented parallel to the record surface rather than the 45-degree angle used for most stereo cartridges, while the coils are wound so that they only generate a signal when there is horizontal movement of the stylus and cantilever when tracking a record.
Two totally separate monaural coils are used in the Atlas Mono, since most monaural cartridges are used with stereo amplifiers and stereo speakers. The separate coils also help avoid possible ground loops and hum problems that could otherwise be caused if a single coil is fed into a stereo two-channel amplification system, thereby tying the two channels together electrically.
In addition to parallel mono connection to a stereo system (two amplifiers and two speakers), it is also possible to leave one set of connections unattached for pure mono playback with a single amplifier and a single speaker. However, it is also possible to connect the two mono channels in series for additional output when used in a pure mono system. Use a short cartridge headshell lead wire with female pin-connectors to connect either the Atlas Mono’s upper right pin with the lower left pin, or alternatively the upper left pin with the lower right pin. Then use the two remaining unused pins for connection to your single amp RIAA input (alternatively a transformer input). The two internal channels are now “chained” in serial-connection for additional output and energy when you only use a single amplifier and a single speaker.
- Designer: Jonathan Carr
- Builder: Yoshinori Mishima (final build, testing), Akiko Ishiyama (preliminary build)
- Type: Medium weight, medium compliance, low-impedance, low-output moving coil cartridge
- Stylus: Lyra-designed long-footprint variable-radius line-contact nude diamond (3um x 70um profile, block dimensions 0.08 x 0.12 x 0.5mm), slot-mounted
- Cantilever system: Diamond-coated solid boron rod with short one-point wire suspension, directly mounted into cartridge body via high-pressure knife-edge system
- Coils: Two individually isolated monophonic/monaural 6N high-purity copper coils wound in parallel (on top of each other) on a square-shaped chemically-purified high-purity iron former with 3.0 ohms self-impedance
- Output voltage: 0.25mV@5cm/sec., 2.4μH inductance degrees (CBS test record, other test records may alter results)
- Frequency range: 10Hz ~ 50kHz
- Compliance: Approx. 12×10-6cm/dyne at 100Hz
- Vertical tracking angle: 20 degrees
- Cartridge body: One-piece machining from solid titanium billet, with reduced-surface higher-pressure headshell contact area, predominately non-parallel and asymmetrical shaping, phase-interference resonance-controlling mechanism, and body threaded directly for mounting screws
- Cartridge mounting screws: 2.6 mm 0.45 pitch JIS standard
- Distance from mounting holes to stylus tip: 9.5mm
- Cartridge weight (without stylus cover): 11.6g
- Recommended tracking force: 1.65 ~ 1.78g (1.72g recommended)
- Recommended load directly into MC phono input: Determine by listening,
- Recommended load via step-up transformer: Use a step-up transformer designed for 2 – 3 ohms cartridge impedance. The transformer output must be connected to standard 47kohm MM-level RIAA input, preferably via short, low-capacitance cable
- Recommended tonearms: High-quality pivoted or linear tangential tonearms with rigid bearing(s), adjustable anti-skating force, preferably VTA
We are still delivering orders as normal. When your order ships you will still receive tracking details. For UK shipments, Our couriers have procedures in place to ensure deliveries are arriving as quickly & safely as possible. Drivers can now sign for your parcels, however will notify you that they have arrived, in order to ensure you receive your parcel. Signing for the parcel has now been stopped temporally for hygiene reasons. Drivers are also working with customer instructions, so you can ask them to leave the parcel in a safe place (doorstep etc...) if you prefer not to come into direct contact with the driver.
There has been no changes to deliveries with Brexit. All deliveries to the UK mainland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland are operating as normal. No VAT or charges are applicable.
Express Delivery is FREE on all orders over £50. Express Delivery offers delivery in 24-72 hours from time of purchase. We use premium couriers for this service, mainly DPD & Royal Mail. DPD will offer you a one hour window for delivery to make sure someone is at home, or you can reschedule the delivery if no one is around.
Here at Kronos AV, we have vast experience with e-commerce sales. Making sure that your parcel arrives undamaged is a huge priority for us. That’s why at Kronos AV, we only use premium couriers for all our orders. All our parcels are shipped with DPD or Royal Mail and are always sent Signed For to make sure it gets to the right person.
If for any reason your parcel does arrived damaged, please get in touch, and we will be happy to get everything resolved for you. We are always on hand to help!
We can offer very generous trade in offers across the majority of our product range.
Why not ask and see how much you HiFi is worth!
To find out how much your HiFi is worth... Click Here
If you have any question, please feel free to call us on 03435236169 or email firstname.lastname@example.org