Introduced in 2005 the PS1 has proved to be one of our best sellers. This model has had many excellent reviews in the worlds Hi Fi press.
Now with improved power supply and new cosmetics, and the option of our new MC transformers.
It is well know that valves can sound much better than transistors, this is especially so with LP reproduction. Mainly because:
- The massive overload of valves prevents distortion on highly modulated or worn LPs therefore reducing noise.
- The “warm” sound of valves is well suited to the reproduction of analogue music from LP.
- The huge 40db RIAA difference between 20 Hz and 20 kHz is easier for valves than transistors.
- Our “passive” design uses no “feedback”
- Our simple design uses “hi fi” components.
- We use “hand wired” “point to point” wiring with no printed circuit board.
It is essential that that these precious few microvolts of signal from the pickup cartridge go straight in to the valve without any switches or coupling capacitor in the way to add sonic impurities.
The PS1 story from David Shaw Icons founder:
“I designed the PS1 for maximum musical detail, but without exaggerating the imperfections through wear or older records. Valves are much more tolerant to overload and distortion, they recover quicker and distort less than transistors. Therefore valves will deal with the huge transient spikes present in imperfect LPs better than transistors. This gives a much more pleasing sound”.
We like the sound of “moving coil” pickups and produced our own special 10x step up transformers. We also designed the PS1 to have a higher than normal output, so it is possible to connect directly to power amplifiers without a pre-amplifier. It is fitted with a volume control. This gives a very pure sound quality
Our remarkable long published record still stands (02/2016) that no PS1 has been returned to us as “unsuitable” despite the thousands sold.
The PS1 has become a “Reference Standard” for Hi Fi World.
Our original acclaimed PS1 design updated and upgraded. Faithfull to the analogue traditions of vinyl.
Moving Magnet types are generally cheaper, and have the advantage of a high output.
Moving Coil pickups have a low output, they are generally more expensive.
But most hi fi fans prefer MC pickups. The LP original “Master” is cut with a moving coil stylus.
MC pickups need special transformers to give extra gain. We fit our own custom design and made transformers. They have a very smooth detailed sound. These may be fitted at the time of order or after purchase.
The front panel switch then allows you to easily choose either MM or MC input.
- Built in volume control, suitable for most power amplifiers
- Stereo/mono switch for lower noise from mono LPs
- Choke power supply
- Separate Power supply for lower noise
- Comprehensive manual supplied
- All hand wired point to point
- No printed circuit board to spoil the sound
- Japanese Blue ALPS volume pot.
- All Triode valves 3x ECC83
- Sensitivity: 3mv for 1.26v output (0.3mv MC)
- Gain MM 53db MC 72db
- Load: imp: 47k MM, 100 ohms MC
- Output source impedance 50 ohms
- Signal to noise level -75db (MM)
- RIAA Freq response 20hz-20khz +0 – 1db
- NO global feedback used
- High quality resistors
- Hi Fi quality audio capacitors
- Silver PTFE audio cable
- Gold plated Input/output terminals
- 220/240volts (also 115v), 50watts
- C E. Conforms to ROHS and WEEE
- Pre-amp 17cmW, 27D, 11H , 2.7kg
- PSU 25cmD, 12W 17H 3.9kg
- Shipping size/weight 40cm x 35cm x 28cm 9kg
(Specifications subject to change, errors & omissions excepted. General July 2018)
We have several deomonstation areas in both of our branches. Please give us a call on 03435236169 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about hearing products at your local branch.
Please always contact us before to make sure the product(s) are available
Express Delivery is FREE on all orders over £50. Express Delivery offers delivery in 24-72 hours from time of purchase. We use premium couriers for this service, mainly DPD & Royal Mail. DPD will offer you a one hour window for delivery to make sure someone is at home, or you can reschedule the delivery if no one is around.
Here at Kronos AV, we have vast experience with e-commerce sales. Making sure that your parcel arrives undamaged is a huge priority for us. That’s why at Kronos AV, we only use premium couriers for all our orders. All our parcels are shipped with DPD or Royal Mail and are always sent Signed For to make sure it gets to the right person.
If for any reason your parcel does arrived damaged, please get in touch, and we will be happy to get everything resolved for you. We are always on hand to help!
We can offer very generous trade in offers across the majority of our product range.
Why not ask and see how much you HiFi is worth!
To find out how much your HiFi is worth... Click Here
If you have any question, please feel free to call us on 03435236169 or email email@example.com